Effective Date: 03/01/2021
Consumers regularly trust Amica with their nonpublic personal information ("NPI"). We take our responsibility to appropriately treat and protect your NPI seriously. This notice explains what NPI we collect, how we collect it and how we protect it.
Summary of Amica's Privacy Notice
- We collect NPI about you from your application, our transactions with you and from third parties as permitted by law.
- We use your NPI only to service your policies and claims and to underwrite and price insurance products that meet your needs as you have described them to us.
- We do not share your NPI with nonaffiliated third parties other than as necessary to service your policy or claim.
- When we disclose your NPI to third parties to perform services for us, we require that they protect the NPI and use it only for the purpose it was disclosed.
- We do not sell your NPI to third parties.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your NPI.
NPI We Collect About You
- We get most NPI directly from you during the application process or through other transactions with you. This includes, for example, your name and address, Social Security number, payment account information, type of vehicle and information about other drivers and members in your household.
- We may ask a consumer reporting agency, data provider or other third party for a report about you, for example: a credit-based insurance score; a report about your coverage and claims history with other companies; motor vehicle records; reports that identify other drivers and members in your household; or criminal records. In limited circumstances, we may request an investigative consumer report, which means that the consumer reporting agency will investigate your habits, finances or if you take part in hazardous activities
- In addition, for life insurance, we may obtain information about your health from medical providers, MIB Group, Inc., or other prescription or insurance databases. We may also obtain information from you about your beneficiaries or others on your policy.
How We Use and Disclose NPI
Amica uses and discloses your NPI only as permitted by law and as necessary to conduct business. For example, we may use your NPI to: service products you have applied for or purchased; process claims; offer you other Amica products; protect against fraud; and comply with legal requirements. For these purposes, we may share your NPI with:
- Claims adjusters, appraisers, auto repair shops, rental companies, contractors, investigators, attorneys and other third party vendors who provide services in facilitation of your claim
- Your agent
- Your mortgagee, lien holder or finance company
- Our affiliated companies
- Consultants or other service providers that perform business functions for us, such as mailing or marketing services
- Our reinsurance companies
- Businesses that conduct research, including actuarial or underwriting studies
- Other insurance companies
- Consumer reporting agencies (Information that we share with consumer reporting agencies, including your claims history with us, may be maintained by the consumer reporting agency and disclosed to others as permitted by law)
- Insurance support organizations
- Medical care institutions and medical providers
- State insurance departments, police or other governmental authorities
- Persons as ordered by subpoena, warrant or other court order or as required by law
Please note that we do not share information about your creditworthiness with our affiliates for their own everyday business purposes.
How We Safeguard NPI
Amica maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to keep your NPI secure. We limit access to employees who "need to know" to service your policy or claim and to support our insurance operations. Also, we have an employee Code of Ethics and Confidentiality Policy and a Cybersecurity Policy that require employees to keep confidential all NPI obtained in the course of our business.
You have the right to know what NPI we have about you and to receive a copy upon request. Requests must be mailed to Amica Mutual Insurance Company, P.O. Box 363, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865. Because of its legal nature, NPI obtained when settling claims or defending lawsuits need not be shared with you.
Within thirty (30) business days of receipt of your written request, we will disclose to you the NPI about you in our files. You may receive a copy at a reasonable charge. We will tell you with whom we have shared your NPI within the past two years, or for the time period required by state law, and we will give you the name and address of any consumer reporting agency that gave us a report about you. Medical records and details about our decisions regarding those records will only be released to your physician or a physician qualified to interpret them.
You may contact Amica if you believe your file should be corrected. Within thirty (30) business days, we will make the change or provide an explanation of our refusal to do so. If we do not make the change, you may send a statement for insertion in your file. Minnesota residents may file an appeal with the Insurance Commissioner. If you ask us to, we will notify persons with whom we have shared your NPI of the change or your statement. With any subsequent sharing of NPI, we will include a copy of your statement.
This Notice applies to prospective, current and former customers of the following Amica Companies:
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- Amica Life Insurance Company
- Amica Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- Amica General Agency, LLC
- Amica General Insurance Agency LLC